Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Day Triple Play

This was a crazy week full of unexpected surprises.  My parents are home from Florida this week (picked a great week to come back!) and originally I was planning to take advantage of their babysitting services to work my regular days and also go on a field trip to Blandford Nature Center with Peter, and another one to the Children's Museum with Esther.

By early in the week, we knew (from all the weather media hype) that we were in for some major snow.  Tuesday night it was pretty obvious that Wednesday would be a snow day, so I didn't pack lunches, prepare backpacks or anything like that.  By the end of Wednesday, the snow had stopped.  Although many roads weren't plowed well, I assumed we'd be back to school and work on Thursday and did the necessary preparations.  By 10:00 p.m., I learned that both the kids and I had another snow day for Thursday.  On Thursday, I was sure that Esther would go back to school on Friday and we'd have the field trip.  Again, I had everything ready, but around 9:45 p.m. the Grand Rapids Public Schools closed.  They stated that too many sidewalks and side roads remained unshoveled and unplowed.  I figured that our school would follow suit because they typically do, and it turned out they cancelled as well.

So, what did we do with our 3 snow days?  We had lots of wonderful, relaxing time with no schedules.  It was so great to spend 3 days straight with the kids and just have fun being together.  We read books, played games, colored, did crafts, played with dolls and Legos, and baked muffins.  We spent Wednesday at home, playing games and reading and watching a movie.  We also played outside in the big snow piles in the afternoon.  Thursday we spent most of the day at my parents' house and also went sledding there.  Today we ventured out to For the Kidz gymnastics for their open gym time.  The kids got lots of energy out and loved playing there.  We ended our week by meeting Casey for dinner at Applebee's since we had a gift card to use.

Now we still have the whole weekend ahead of us!  It will be good to get back to the normal routine on Monday, but I am definitely thankful for these last 3 wonderful days. 


No comments: