For those of you who saw Laura's earlier post, yes, it is true.....I am coaching Peter's soccer team this year. I've tried to figure out my qualifications, due to the fact that my entire athletic career contains the following highlights:
1. Elementary school soccer: I don't remember much other than that I never "headed" the ball right and usually got knocked over (or I possibly may have just tripped over the ball).
2. Elementary school basketball. For some reason, my Mom must have thought it was a good idea for me to try my hand on the Sussex-Wantage basketball league. This is the only sport I played where I actually scored some points.....for the other team.
3. Little League. I remember two highlights here. I once forgot to run to second base after the batter hit the ball and was on the losing end of a very simple game of pickle. I also remember having a slow ground ball roll past me while playing third base. Hey, it wasn't my fault it was time for the Sussex Air Show and I was facing the outfield watching an airplane go through its stunts.
4. Church Softball. At least here I always contributed. I was always good for showing up with a six pack of beverages for the post game fellowship.
So, after thinking about it, I realized my qualification was that I am breathing and can blow a whistle.
So, here is what I learned after the first day of coaching a team consisting of 6 four and five year olds.
1. Most four and five year olds apparently do not know right and left yet.
2. Blowing a whistle does not automatically make children stop moving. (Despite what you have seen in the Sound of Music.)
3. They do not yet know all the rules of soccer....but hey, neither do I.
4. Crying does happen in soccer if you were out WAY too late the night before.
5. Even though you tell the kids we aren't keeping score, they fully understand the fact that the other team just made six goals on you and you haven't scored any yet.
6. It is possible for a 5 year old to fall over even though they haven't started moving yet.
7. If you put on an official looking t-shirt and hang a whistle from your neck, everyone assumes you know what you are doing.
8. I am looking forward to a fun and entertaining 8 weeks of soccer!
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment