Sunday, December 19, 2010

13 Years of Wedded Bliss

I was looking at this picture from 13 years ago and was trying to remember what we may have been thinking at the time. Laura was probably still trying to get over the fact that our photographer showed up 45 minutes late, and I was thinking "boy, there are a lot of candles behind us, sure hope no one knocks them over on the poinsettias." I'm pretty sure I was also mentally placing bets on whether my sister really had car troubles or if she had just simply run the car out of gas. (Later investigation proved the latter.)

Today, I was also trying to think of how our first anniversary was different from today's.....but we were too busy chasing kids, opening early Christmas presents, putting said presents together, playing Wii Sports Resort (I won every time), and watching the Berenstain Bears that I couldn't really think of much. I'm sure it was similar to this year's though, right?

I do know that since that picture was taken the following changes have occurred:

1. I have less hair, smaller glasses, and a larger belt.

2. Laura has smaller bangs, still no glasses, and of course wears the same size belt or smaller.

3. My career has spanned 7 different industries and 8 job changes.

4. Laura's career continues in the same industry and 3 job changes.

5. On Friday nights we used to go to bed at midnight and wake up around 9 with maybe a leisurely breakfast and watch some TV and read the paper.

6. Now on Friday nights, we tend to be in bed around 10:00, wake up at 7 after being awakened by the alarm clocks with legs, watch PBS kids over a bowl of cereal and sometimes remember to get the paper before the end of the day.

7. On our wedding day my Mom thanked Laura for taking me off their hands.

8. 13 years later they still continue to thank her.

9. When we got our dog 6 years prior to having kids, I thought it would be good practice for taking care of kids.

10. I now realize that taking care of a dog was in no way similar to taking care of kids (though sometimes they do both pee and poop on the carpet).

All in all, it's been a wonderful 13 years!

2 comments:

csvan said...

Congratulations guys! Funny how things change over the years, eh? Hope you get a chance to celebrate together!

Renee said...

thanks for outing me on the car issue! congrats again!